My test quilt is finally finished and even though it’s supposed to be just a practice quilt, I’m actually quite madly in love with it. It turned out far better than I imagined it would. It’s not perfect – the wide 6″ borders came out a little wavy in spite of what I thought was careful measuring – but overall it’s a beaut.
The blocks began as stack and whack wonky nine patch blocks that you make by stacking squares of your fabric. I knew I wanted them crazier than that so I cut those wonky nine patch blocks apart, spun the pieces, and sewed them back together the way you do when you make a disappearing nine patch. Then I squared them up and set them in Kona Snow. I didn’t want the quilt to be square so I added a little piano key strip made of leftovers to the bottom to turn the square into a rectangle.
The quilting I made up as I went. I originally wanted to do the mitered quilting on the border and then free motion quilt the insides of the blocks but I couldn’t get the machine to cooperate and I went with concentric circles instead. And I pretty much love it.
This shot of the back really shows the quilting well:
And close-ups of the back:
I can’t wait to start the “real” quilt. There are a couple of things I will do differently but overall I’m going to make a larger version of this little practice one. And I think I’ll love them both. We’ll see!