Proof of concept

wonky disappearing nine patch, originally uploaded by Compwalla.

These squares have been made into a small version of a quilt that I want to make from Jenean Morrison’s California Dreamin’ fabric line. I know I want to make the blocks wonky but I am not following anyone’s pattern for this quilt. It’s going to be all my own. I’ve had the fabric for a long time and it’s now discontinued so before I jumped into making the quilt with fabric I can’t replace should I hose it up or not like the results, I decided to pull some fat quarters from my stash and do a test run first.

The blocks started out as 8″ squares and were turned into wonky nine patches using the tutorial at Oh, Fransson! Then I further liberated them by slicing them through the center once vertically and once horizontally, rotating the bits, and sewing them back together. It’s a combination of wonky nine patch + disappearing nine patch and I really love the way the blocks turned out.

I pieced them together into this quilt top:

And I’m madly in love with this! The things I am going to do differently are start with a larger beginning square and move the piano key strip farther down. The blocks ended up at 6″ by the time I got done slicing and dicing and putting them all back together again so the squares in the quilt are only 5.5″ square. I want the ‘real’ quilt to be bigger so I’m planning to start with 12″ squares and go from there. I still have not decided on how I’m going quilt it. I’ve got several test sandwiches and so far I’m not happy with anything I’ve tried. I’ll figure it out, though.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s